At the foot of the Sayn castle hill, the Lords of Reiffenberg, the Ministers of the Sayn Earl, built a Medieval castle house in the 14th century. In 1753, through marriage, it fell into the possession of the Barons Boos von Waldeck who renovated it into a Baroque manor. At the beginning of the 19th century, the estate increased in size as the result of the acquisition of the directly-adjacent estates and vineyards from the Imperial Baron vom and zum Stein.
When Prince Ludwig zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn returned again from Russia to his family’s old homeland in 1848 with his beautiful Russian wife, Princess Leonilla, he bought the estate with all the related properties from the Coblenz District Administrator at that time, Earl Clemens Boos von Waldeck. The Baroque manor, whose core formed the late Medieval castle house, was redesigned and expanded by the Prince and the Princess to form a stately castle. The architect Girard (1806-1872), who later became the Director of the Louvre, was entrusted with the renovation. Girard selected the New Gothic style based upon the zeitgeist and the wishes of his clients. He succeeded in creating a uniform and harmonious work product which exceeded the high expectations of his contemporaries.
A special feature was the usage of architectural elements made of iron which was ornamentally cast in the adjacent Sayner Hütte. In 1851, the Prussian King Friedrich Wilhelm IV. Stated that he was “completely astonished, bedazzled and captivated by the magic of Sayn”. His brother Wilhelm, later the Emperor of the German Empire, likewise wrote in 1857 enthusiastically in the guestbook: “Really, it is truly a fairy-tale castle!”
In 1945–shortly before the end of the war, the castle was substantially damaged and fell into decline. With the New Gothic which was enjoying increased popularity again, Schloss Sayn was declared to be a Historical Monument of National Importance. Thanks to intensive support–particularly from the state of Rhineland-Palatinate, a programme for restoring and revitalising the castle was able to be implemented in 1995-2000. Prince Alexander and Princess Gabriela zu Sayn-Wittgenstein-Sayn are pleased to be able to present their Schloss Sayn to you in new splendour. Through the museum, the elaborately-furnished conference and event rooms as well as the castle restaurant, diverse usage options are offered in a romantic atmosphere.
You can find additional information on Schloss Sayn here
Address: Schloßstraße 100, 56170 Bendorf-Sayn Tel. 02622-90240